APPLICATIONS BEING ACCEPTED FOR RESERVE DEPUTY
The Baxter County Sheriff's Office is now accepting applications for the volunteer position of Reserve Deputy. Reserve Deputies are utilized as additional support for the employees of the Sheriff's Office. Reserve Deputies are not paid, but rather donate a minimum number of hours (8 per month) to their community in a law enforcement role.
In order to be considered for a Reserve Deputy position, the applicant must meet ALL of the minimum requirements as established by the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training Office (CLEST) and by Sheriff's Office policy. These requirements include, but are not limited to:
1. Must be at least 21 years of age.
2. Must be a citizen of the United States and able to present proof of citizenship.
3. Must be a high school graduate or have a GED (proof required).
4. Must pass psychological evaluation by a psychiatrist or psychologist.
5. Must pass physical examination.
6. Must be free from convictions for any felony offense in any jurisdiction, regardless of whether the offense may have been sealed, expunged, or otherwise held in abeyance.
7. Must submit to a full background check.
8. Must possess a valid Arkansas driver license and have an acceptable driving record with few traffic citations or points.
9. Must be free of conviction for any driving while intoxicated charge within the last 10 years and free of any drug or drug paraphernalia related charges.
10. Must donate at least eight (8) hours of time per month to the Sheriff's Office and attend one (1) monthly meeting.
11. Must complete 24 hours of continuing education/training each year.
The Sheriff's Office provides uniform, badge, and other insignia, however the applicant is required to provide his or her own firearm (of an approved type), duty leather gear, handcuffs, and other necessary equipment.
Those applicants who are selected will be required to attend and successfully complete approximately 120 hours of mandatory classroom and practical training. The date for the training class has not yet been set.
Persons interested in applying for a Reserve Deputy position should obtain an application from the Sheriff's Office Administration Offices during normal business office hours and submit the completed application without delay.
Baxter County Sheriff's Office