CERTIFIED APPLICANTS BEING SOUGHT FOR DEPUTY SHERIFF POSITION
The Baxter County Sheriff's Office is seeking applications from full time certified law enforcement officers for the position of Deputy Sheriff in the Patrol Division. Applicants should already hold at least a BASIC Certificate from the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training (CLEST) or equivalent certification from another state that is recognized by CLEST.
Deputy Sheriffs perform all duties and responsibilities generally and customarily associated with full service law enforcement officer positions. These include, but are not limited to:
- Responds to disturbances, incidents, and complaints made by the public.
- Patrols in a vehicle and occasionally on foot.
- Interacts with members of public in both adversarial and non-adversarial situations.
- Uses own initiative to observe and detect law violations and suspicious vehicles, persons, and circumstances.
- Uses discretion based upon judgment to deal with various situations in accordance with the law and department policy.
- Collects and protects evidence.
- Interviews victims, witnesses, and suspects.
- Takes criminal and civil reports from general public.
- Investigates motor vehicle traffic accidents on county roads.
- Directs traffic and controls activities in disaster areas and public assemblies.
- Writes reports; issues citations; makes arrests.
- Transports prisoners; monitors radio traffic; responds to calls for assistance from other officers or agencies.
- Performs daily maintenance and equipment checks on vehicle and equipment.
- Briefs superiors on current events within the patrol shift.
- Receives and serves warrants, subpoenas, and other legal documents.
- Appears in District Court, Circuit Court, and Federal Court to testify when required.
Excellent inter-personal communication skills are needed, as is the ability to make accurate, concise, and thorough written records and notations.
Applications for employment are available at the Sheriff's Administration Offices. Applications will be accepted through June 22, 2018. We cannot accept resumes unless they are accompanied by a fully completed application form.
/s/ Sheriff John Montgomery